[tz] Issue in Time Zone Database for Kazakhstan's zones

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Fri Apr 29 02:07:53 UTC 2016

On 04/28/2016 10:27 AM, Zhanibek Adilbekov wrote:

> formats of zones are changed, e.g. for Asia/Almaty it changed from
> ALMT to +06. I'm not familiar with TZ files, but I suppose this
> changes are the reason of incompatibility for some apps.

Yes, I think that's relevant to the Plasma Digital Clock bug. I found
what appears to be a related bug in the way that Qt handles data from tz
2016b, so the problem is not limited to tz 2016d. I can reproduce the
problem by using just the Qt base, without involving KDE or Plasma. The
Qt base parses tz data directly (!), and appears to do so incorrectly. I
have filed a Qt bug report here:

https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-53071

zic.c already has workarounds for buggy programs that misparse tzdata
files containing time stamps far in the past, by putting in a no-change
transition before the Big Bang. Perhaps there could be a similar
workaround for this Qt bug, as Qt appears to mishandle tzdata files
where the predicted future uses a POSIX TZ string that assumes
POSIX.1-2001 or later. That is, perhaps we can work around the Qt bug by
appending to the binary data some sort of no-change transition far
enough in the future that we can expect Qt to be fixed in the field
before most users care about those future time stamps.  The year 2116, say?