[tz] Programmatic way of determining the latest release number?

Jon Skeet skeet at pobox.com
Sat Apr 30 07:39:19 UTC 2016

Hi folks,

I'm aware of the ability to use ftp://ftp.iana.org/tz/tzcode-latest.tar.gz
and the similar data URL to get the latest actual files, but is there a URL
which either serves an HTTP redirect to the latest version, or gives the
latest version number in some other easily-retrievable machine-readable
format?

I could parse the content of http://www.iana.org/time-zones, but that
doesn't feel like a very robust approach :)

Presumably this might all drop out of the tzdist work, but I was wondering
whether there was a low-tech way at the moment.

Jon