[tz] Programmatic way of determining the latest release number?

Chris Rorvick chris at rorvick.com
Sat Apr 30 19:52:57 UTC 2016

If you have the git repository, you could do something like this:

  $ git fetch
  $ version=$(git describe --abbrev=0 origin/master)
  $ echo $version
  2016d

The above assumes a conventional upstream remote repository of
"origin".  If you're doing something less conventional, you probably
know how to modify the above accordingly.  :-)

Chris