[tz] zdump new option -i for easier-to-review output

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Mon Aug 22 03:53:08 UTC 2016

Paul Eggert wrote:
> With luck, I'll get out a new patch shortly to do all this.

Proposed 3 patches attached.

These 3 patches simplify regression testing, so I'll propose a patch for that soon.

The regression data will bloat the tz distribution somewhat, though, so to help
out with that let's distribute a single tarball containing both code and data
(this was suggested during the previous millennium, so it's about time :-), and
while we're at it, use a better compressor than gzip. (For compatibility we'll
still distribute the old-format .tar.gz pair for a while.) I'll propose a patch
for that too.

Plus, I've used the new regression-testing framework to verify the planned
conversion of the ex-Soviet zones from invented to numeric time zone
abbreviations, so I'll propose that patch too.

I'll push all these patches into the Github experimental version, as they should
be stable enough for review now.