[tz] Zone name policy

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Thu Dec 1 21:07:44 UTC 2016

On 12/01/2016 12:44 PM, Maksym Besida wrote:
> TZ files are changed frequently because a country can pass a law

Sure, and that's because people change their clocks, which is the tz
database subject matter. As much as possible we want to focus on the
subject matter, and not be distracted by non-timekeeping issues such as
whether a city's name should be "Jerusalem" or "al-Quds". We can't
resolve political issues like that and we should not waste time trying.

> When you're mentioning a user, could you please specify who do you mean?
End users set their time zone on their cell phone or laptop or desktop
or whatever, and their user interfaces should display translated names.