[tz] Zone name policy

Maksym Besida maks.besida at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 20:44:29 UTC 2016

TZ files are changed frequently because a country can pass a law, for
example, not to use DST or some region of the country decides to move to
other timezone. Why this also can not be changed according to the decree of
Ukrainian authority <http://zakon3.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/55-2010-%D0%BF> (text
in Ukrainian)? which states that names of geographical objects(and human
names) must be transliterated  according to the rules mentioned there. This
was issued in 2010, from that time TZ database has been changed several
times.

When you're mentioning a user, could you please specify who do you mean?
Because me, as a developer, have to use those russian transliterated names
when I want to specify a time zones. Also a lot of libraries depends on the
"truth" that is present in TZ database, and users of that libraries might
get wrong impression of actual names of the geographical objects,
specifically in Ukraine in our case but there are much more such cases for
other countries/cities(can't defend them as do not know language policy for
them).

--
З повагою,
Максим Бесіда.