[tz] Google public NTP servers to 'smear' leap seconds.

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Sun Dec 4 22:08:10 UTC 2016

Paul Eggert <eggert at cs.ucla.edu> wrote:

> I wonder who first proposed and implemented the 24-hour linear scheme
> that

> Google plans to switch to next time. It's not always that easy
> to change
> Google's collective mind. Was it someone at Akamai? Amazon? Microsoft?

When I did a survey of leap smear schemes in September, only Amazon was
doing -12 to +12 smear. Google originally did a sinusoidal smear, but I
gather that interacted worse with ntpd and large polling intervals than
piecewise linear.

https://www.mail-archive.com/leapsecs@leapsecond.com/msg06152.html

> Come to think of it, we should document leap smearing. Proposed patch
> attached.

It's probably worth noting that ntpd now has an open implementation of
leap smear. Here's a link to the documentation in their Bitkeeper repo:

http://bk1.ntp.org/ntp-stable/README.leapsmear

Tony.

--

f.anthony.n.finch  <dot at dotat.at>  http://dotat.at/  -  I xn--