[tz] Spain may change time

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Wed Dec 14 22:21:07 UTC 2016

On 12/13/2016 04:24 PM, Tim Parenti wrote:
> The legal distinction just raises the interesting point about how
> /we/ would represent that timestamp in modernity.

I installed the attached to try to document this. This version of the
commentary avoids the neologism "24:59". Anyway, thanks for bringing up
this point of confusion; this one is a new one for me.

I suppose a similar thing could occur at the *start* of a day. That is,
on Saturday at 23:59..., instead of jumping back to Saturday at 23:00,
the clock could jump "back" to Sunday at 23:00, then continue on through
Sunday at 00:00, 01:00, ..., 23:00, and finally repeat the hour of
Sunday at 23:00. Although this seems even less likely than what Spain
did in 1918, one never knows what politicians will do....