[tz] Alberta MLA to table bill aimed at ending DST

Sat Dec 17 19:42:19 UTC 2016

On 2016-12-17 10:34, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:
> Brian> Now question is: Do we want to stay on Mountain Standard Time
> Brian> all year, do we want to go to Mountain Daylight time?
> It has never made sense to call something "Daylight time" if it's
> year-round. Just pull the neighbor standard time.  And if that makes
> even less sense that also tells me that you hate "the sun overhead at
> noon" for unjustified (to me) reasons.

It's a pull quote from the article subhead, which I thought summarized
the state of the public discussion at the moment.

Aren't we used to seeing these pronouncements by politicians,
bureaucrats, and journalists about keeping "daylight" time year round?

Saskatchewan, fixed on CST -0600, is often referred to as switching
from CST to MDT in summer, and is shown as such on the NRC official time
Summer Time Zones map at:
http://www.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/eng/services/time/time_zones.html

If Alberta changes, there could possibly be further changes north in the
North West Territories.