[tz] NIST leap-second file not yet updated

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Mon Feb 15 17:49:26 UTC 2016

On Mon 2016-02-15T12:14:52 -0500, Tim Parenti hath writ:
> I prepared the attached patch which uses the file from IERS shortly
> after the 2016-01-11 announcement, but was sitting on it while we
> waited for NIST, since the conversation at the time seemed to indicate
> that NIST was our preferred source.  I think, though, that since IERS
> actually decides the leap seconds and seems to be updating their file
> more promptly, it might be worthwhile to consider switching to IERS as
> our canonical source for this file.

That makes sense.  Announcing the leap seconds is part of the charter
of the IERS, and staff there are on public record as having interest
in disseminating the information.  It is not part of the charter of
NIST, and staff there are on public record as not wanting leap seconds
to exist.

--
Steve Allen                 <sla at ucolick.org>               WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory--ISB   Natural Sciences II, Room 165   Lat  +36.99855