[tz] NIST leap-second file not yet updated

Tim Parenti tim at timtimeonline.com
Mon Feb 15 19:28:25 UTC 2016

On 15 February 2016 at 14:00, <Paul_Koning at dell.com> wrote:

> I don't see how copyright can be valid on a list of leap seconds -- facts
> are not covered by copyright.

I think most on this list are well aware of that.  ;)  The concern here,
though, is more with the associated commentary, which varies greatly
between the NIST and IERS files.

> I don't see any mention of copyright on the IERS website.  It would of
> course be desirable for it to give an explicit statement saying copyright
> does not apply (at least not to its bulletins).

At least in the US, copyright exists by default (at least for copyrightable
portions of works).  Even without that, it's better to err on the side of
caution.  This is part of why we've gone out of *our* way to explicitly
state that tz files are public domain; I'd expect that a similar
arrangement might be feasible here.

--
Tim Parenti