[tz] NIST leap-second file not yet updated

Clive D.W. Feather clive at davros.org
Mon Feb 15 21:53:42 UTC 2016

Paul_Koning at dell.com said:
> I don't understand that.  NIST can't change some other organization's copyright by redistributing the data.  Then again, I don't see how copyright can be valid on a list of leap seconds -- facts are not covered by copyright.

Actually, it's not that simple. In particular, the law in the US and the
law in France on this topic are not the same.

It is possible to copyright collections of facts.

Furthermore, if you copy the IERS bulletin directly, you aren't just
copying the facts, you're copying the expression of them. That's a breach
of their copyright.

--
Clive D.W. Feather          | If you lie to the compiler,
Email: clive at davros.org     | it will get its revenge.