[tz] Astrakhan region got approval to change its time zone

Derick Rethans tz at derickrethans.nl
Mon Feb 15 22:11:26 UTC 2016

On Fri, 12 Feb 2016, Paul Eggert wrote:

> On 02/12/2016 11:29 AM, Alexander Krivenyshev wrote:
> > http://asozd2.duma.gov.ru/work/dz.nsf/ByID/DE3C735A7CF5622743257F56004250F4/
> > $File/91250509-91280822.pdf
> Thanks for the heads-up. It looks like we'll need a new zone Europe/Astrakhan,
> split off from the existing Europe/Volgograd. Will the new zone will switch
> from UTC+3 on 2016-03-27 at 02:00, to UTC+4? This detail is not in the above
> URL.
>
> In the tz database, rather than give the new zone an invented abbreviation
> like "ASTT" that does not correspond to existing practice, I'd like to get out
> of the name-inventing business and just use "+04".

My main concern with stopping to use only upper case ASCII letters is
that is going to break many implementations. Is it really worth the risk
of deviating from this unwritten rule? Data stability is important,
please do not take the decision of moving away from the defacto standard
of upper case ASCII letters lightly. lightly.

cheers,
Derick

--
PHP's Date/Time maintainer