[tz] NIST leap-second file not yet updated

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Tue Feb 16 05:46:28 UTC 2016

On Mon 2016-02-15T21:38:59 -0800, Paul Eggert hath writ:
> As I recall the IERS was asked a while ago, with no definite response yet.
>
> French copyright law is a funny thing, not to mention international
> bureaucracy, and it's possible we'll be stuck with using a non-IERS
> file indefinitely. I hope the NIST can maintain a leap-second file
> in a timely fashion; otherwise we'd have to do it ourselves, and
> then the world might have *three* files where one should suffice....

The fifteen year long leap second fiasco in the ITU-R has resulted in
a situation where US experts are constrained not to communicate
anything which has not been cleared by Department of State, and I
suppose similar scenarios exist elsewhere.

--
Steve Allen                 <sla at ucolick.org>               WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory--ISB   Natural Sciences II, Room 165   Lat  +36.99855