[tz] Astrakhan region got approval to change its time zone

Random832 random832 at fastmail.com
Tue Feb 16 15:19:55 UTC 2016

On Tue, Feb 16, 2016, at 02:25, Paul Eggert wrote:
> Matt Johnson wrote:
> > it seems to me that the people living in the region will consider this as a move from Moscow time to Samara time.
>
> I really doubt whether they'll think they're on Samara time.

There would be a precedent in the fact that the Russian Wikipedia (which
lists abbreviations, and doesn't 100% agree with us [USZ1 instead of EET
for Kaliningrad]) doesn't recognize NOVT, but instead calls the whole
UTC+6/MSK+3 timezone "OMST".

Worldtimezone.com, incidentally, has a list of _names_ (not associated
with abbreviations, the abbreviations given are simply USZ1 through
UZ11), with no clear source but different from ours:

- Kaliningrad Time
- Moscow Time
- Volga Time
- Ural Time
- West-Siberian Time
- Yenisei Time
- Irkutsk Time
- Amur Time
- Vladivostok Time
- Okhotsk Time
- Kamchatka Time

I'm a bit uncomfortable with Russia being treated as a "second class
citizen" of the timezone database just because people don't often write
times there in English.