[tz] Astrakhan region got approval to change its time zone

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Tue Feb 16 16:37:58 UTC 2016

On 02/16/2016 07:19 AM, Random832 wrote:
> I'm a bit uncomfortable with Russia being treated as a "second class
> citizen" of the timezone database
The intent is not to treat Russia specially. I would like to remove all
invented abbreviations from the database in due course, not just the
invented Russian abbreviations. Europe/Astrakhan is first in this
process only because it's a new zone, and removal of invented
abbreviations is less likely to cause backwards-compatibility problems
there. Assuming the experiment works well enough, the intent is to adopt
the same practice with other zones both inside and outside Russia that
have similar issues, e.g., Asia/Urumqi, Pacific/Kiritimati,
America/Asuncion. Abbreviations like "XJT", "LINT", and "PET" are purely
our invention and do not have reliable sources.