[tz] If you lie about the time zone, your iPhone will have its revenge

Guy Harris guy at alum.mit.edu
Wed Jan 20 05:37:06 UTC 2016

On Jan 19, 2016, at 8:46 PM, Random832 <random832 at fastmail.com> wrote:

> Guy Harris <guy at alum.mit.edu> writes:
>> This is a bit weird - I'd expect whatever checks the battery to be
>> doing "check every second"-type checks
>
> Every second? That sounds like it would have an undesired influence the
> results of the checks.

Waking up once a second *iff* the display is on (if it's off, there's no point in updating the blacked-out battery charge level) and checking the battery probably won't run the battery down too much.

If, however, the battery can itself interrupt the CPU when its charge level changes "significantly", that'd be even better.  I don't know whether "smart batteries" can do that, but they might be able to.