[tz] Asia/Tomsk

Victor Sudakov vas at mpeks.tomsk.su
Thu Jun 2 04:25:12 UTC 2016

Paul Eggert wrote:
> > The Asia/Novokuznetsk zone is organized in the same way
>
> Asia/Novokuznetsk also has English-language abbreviations that we
> invented,

But these abbreviations are already sanctified by a long tradition.
They must have been around for over 20 years (I began using FreeBSD
around 1995 and I remember those abbreviations being there).

> and the plan is to migrate it to numeric abbreviations as
> well;

When are you planning to migrate the abbreviations like EST or HST?

If a timezone has a non-integer offset like 10:30, what numeric
abbreviation are you planning to use?

> tzdata should record timekeeping practice, not invent it.

Nobody here in Tomsk calls our timezone "+07" in practice, I assure
you. That's just another invention, albeit a more unsightly one.

We call it "6-я часовая зона" (officially), or "Красноярское время",
but you don't allow non-ascii names.  Or maybe Windows users call it
"UTC +07:00" or Android users "Красноярск", but never "+07".

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
sip:sudakov at sibptus.tomsk.ru