[tz] Asia/Tomsk

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Thu Jun 2 06:59:57 UTC 2016

Victor Sudakov wrote:
> But these abbreviations are already sanctified by a long tradition.

Not really. And I have some experience in this, as I am the one who *invented*
that "long tradition", and I've seen it not catch on.

> When are you planning to migrate the abbreviations like EST or HST?

EST and HST have been commonly used by reliable English-language sources for
decades. We did not invent these abbreviations, and don't plan to remove them.

> If a timezone has a non-integer offset like 10:30, what numeric
> abbreviation are you planning to use?

The one that zic generates with %z. +1030 in that case.

> Nobody here in Tomsk calls our timezone "+07" in practice, I assure
> you. That's just another invention

Yes, I wouldn't expect people in Tomsk to use English-language abbreviations.
They would use Russian-language abbreviations, if anything.

Numeric abbreviations reasonably common, and are standardized by ISO 8601.

> We call it "6-я часовая зона" (officially), or "Красноярское время",
> but you don't allow non-ascii names.

Yes, the idea is to use an English-language abbreviation if there is one in
common use, and to fall back on a numeric abbreviation otherwise.