[tz] Asia/Tomsk

Random832 random832 at fastmail.com
Thu Jun 2 15:31:46 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jun 2, 2016, at 11:02, Jonathan Lennox wrote:
> It certainly sounds like the common usage in Russia (and in the Soviet
> Union back in the day) is to call the timezones МСК−1 through МСК+9,
> which would be calqued as MSK-1 through MSK+9.  This is what I'd
> recommend for Russian timezones, unless actual Russians disagree.

The objection to this (and to using "UTC+nn" for other timezones) has
been that someone or some code might mindlessly copy an output timezone
abbreviation into TZ, resulting in (from MSK+2) a timezone which is
called "MSK" and has an offset of -02:00. I don't recall if anyone's
provided any concrete evidence of such a thing actually happening.

[Incidentally, what should these use for daylight saving time? MSD
itself isn't as "standard" as MSK, but is well entrenched in the Unix
world. Or, not being constrained to three characters, use "MSK[+nn]DST"
or "MSKDST[+nn]"?]