[tz] Asia/Tomsk

Robert Elz kre at munnari.OZ.AU
Thu Jun 2 23:39:07 UTC 2016

    Date:        Thu, 2 Jun 2016 13:54:05 -0700
    From:        Paul Eggert <eggert at cs.ucla.edu>

  | and this unexpected aspect of our invented abbreviations
  | can easily confuse non-experts.

This I wholly support - but with the opposite conclusion than you
arrive at.   Absolutely anything we can do in the abbreviation field to
have it cause problems to anyone who attempts to do anything with it
other than display it to users, we should do.   Create ambiguities, ...
all of that is a good thing.   We need to stop software (or specifications)
attempting to treat the abbreviation as input data for anything at all.

kre