[tz] Asia/Tomsk

Pavel V. Rochnyack rpv at nikolas.ru
Fri Jun 3 07:28:55 UTC 2016

03.06.2016 13:50, Stepan Golosunov пишет:
> 03.06.2016 в 13:16:33 +0700 Pavel V. Rochnyack написал:
>> Also, in the "Theory" file where is:
>>
>>> 	If there is no common English abbreviation, abbreviate the English
>>> 		translation of the usual phrase used by native speakers.
>>
>> At the moment, as for Tomsk citizens, phrazes like 'we are living by
>> Novosibirsk [time]' before time shift and 'we are using Krasnoyark time' are
>> common enough.
>>
>> Google shows enough results about this query:
>> "Томск переходит в Красноярский часовой пояс"
>> (translation: "Tomsk enters the Krasnoyarsk Time Zone")
>
> And many articles say "Tomsk moves to summer time" about the same
> event.  Soon Tomsk time, Krasnoyarsk time, Novosibirsk time would mean
> the same thing and all will be in use.  Why and how should tzdata choose
> one of them?

Assigning 'NOVT/KRAT' abbreviations to 'Asia/Tomsk' does not introduce
new problem, the 'Asia/Novokuznetsk' is already here.

If Noviosibirsk and Krasnoyarsk will be in the same time zone:

Will you change 'NOVT' in 'Asia/Novosibirsk' due to that change?
Probably, not.

Will you change 'KRAT' in 'Asia/Krasnoyarsk' due to that change?
Not, of course.

Will you change 'KRAT' in 'Asia/Novokuznetsk' due to that change?
Probably, not.

The same (no changes in 'KRAT' abbreviation) should happen with
'Asia/Tomsk' in that case.

Again: All timezones should have the same approach.

If you don't want abbreviations - remove them completely.
If you don't want to remove abbreviations - set them.

If you don't want to set 'NOVT/KRAT' - make new abbreviations by your
guideline 'abbreviate the English translation of the usual phrase used
by native speakers' or 'take the first three letters of an English place
name identifying each zone'.

Also, as this timezone was split off from 'Asia/Novosibirsk', it should
have same abbreviations as it has before split / time switch. Look into
'Europe/Riga' as an example.

--
Regards,
Pavel.