[tz] zdump new option -i for easier-to-review output

Tim Parenti tim at timtimeonline.com
Tue Jun 7 18:18:52 UTC 2016

On 7 June 2016 at 04:44, Paul Eggert <eggert at cs.ucla.edu> wrote:

> Alternatively, zdump could not bother to align outlandish years outside
> the range -999,9999 or outlandish UT offsets that are more than 100 hours
> away from UT.

Though all of the space-padding alternatives you propose do have their
limitations, as you mention, I think this is the one that remains most
workable and portable.

In fact, if you include colons in the UT offsets, you need only state that
the datetime and offset fields are given with second-level precision, and
that all terminal sequences of the substring ":00" within those fields are
replaced with three spaces to aid readability.

> Something like that might work, I suppose, though we'd probably still get
> bug reports from compulsive aligners wondering why the outlandish cases
> aren't aligned properly, or why there's all that white space in the columns.

"Compulsive aligners" will always find something to complain about, surely…
but maybe if the stated goal isn't so much absolute "alignment" as general
"readability", they might pick on something else instead.

--
Tim Parenti