[tz] America/Indiana/Vincennes

J William Piggott elseifthen at gmx.com
Sun Jun 19 21:41:08 UTC 2016

On 06/18/2016 09:54 PM, Matt Johnson wrote:
>> Those are official abbreviations. Kosciusko is Ko, Madison is M.
>> http://www.in.gov/dnr/historic/files/countysite_designations.pdf
>
> Hmmm... The list appears to be about the county designations used in
> archaeological site numbers.  I'm not sure that makes them the
> official abbreviations, nor would a typical Hoosier know about them.
> The page is linked from here:
> http://www.in.gov/dnr/historic/3668.htm
>
> I found a completely different set of abbreviations used in County
> Formation Maps, on various sites, such as this one:
> http://www.mapofus.org/indiana/
>
> Not sure if either set are official, but the second set at least seems
> more sensible.

Official may have been the wrong word to use, but the Indiana State
government seems like a stronger reference for current abbreviations
than a genealogy site which appears to be using historic ones.

I don't know what source Paul used. Perhaps he has a more canonical
reference.

>> Countries with more then 24 entries, like the United States, must limit
>> comments to 34 characters to accommodate paging in an 80x24 display.
>
> Thanks.  I hadn't heard that before.  Spec somewhere?

It's on my TODO list. Time constraints forced me to pause my
contributions to this project.

The initial draft is here:
http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2016-February/023249.html

Then it was updated to always delimit sub-regions with a semicolon:
http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2016-March/023296.html

The character length limit discussion:
http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2016-February/023279.html

I had written that the limits where 35 and 76, but for Bash it turns out
the limits are 34 and 75.