[tz] America/Indiana/Vincennes

Random832 random832 at fastmail.com
Thu Jun 23 15:20:18 UTC 2016

On Sat, Jun 18, 2016, at 21:54, Matt Johnson wrote:
> > Those are official abbreviations. Kosciusko is Ko, Madison is M.
> >http://www.in.gov/dnr/historic/files/countysite_designations.pdf
>
> Hmmm... The list appears to be about the county designations used in
> archaeological site numbers.  I'm not sure that makes them the official
> abbreviations, nor would a typical Hoosier know about them.

As someone who lives in Indiana, I think people are more likely to know
their county _number_ (which appears on car license plates) than an
obscure 'official' abbreviation. Not that I'm suggesting actually using
the numbers for this purpose.

I'm not sure a systematic "list all the counties" approach is best in
general. For one thing, it misleadingly excludes the counties that need
to be on a non-"Indiana" zone (Chicago is the big one, and Louisville
and IIRC New_York are also represented). It may be that trying to
capture all the information people need to pick a timezone in the
descriptions is futile.

To a typical user setting up a new computer and not caring about the
exact local-timezone hour of timestamps from before it was set up, there
isn't a single place the state that isn't adequately served by Chicago
and New_York. Would it be too much to ask for someone to whom it is
important to read a few paragraphs of actual documentation rather than a
half-line description?