[tz] Egypt to have DST again

Tim Parenti tim at timtimeonline.com
Tue Jun 28 20:48:01 UTC 2016

On 28 June 2016 at 15:48, Howard Hinnant <howard.hinnant at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jun 28, 2016, at 3:44 PM, Matt Johnson <mj1856 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > So in this situation, when a government cannot come to consensus within
> their own divisions, who do we listen to?
>
> We listen to Paul.  The world’s computer’s will listen to Paul.  And the
> people of Egypt will listen to their phones and computers. :-)

We should obviously have no desire to take sides in Egyptian Parliament v
Egyptian Prime Minister… but seeing as one such set of changes has already
been released (in 2016e), from our standpoint, inertia should probably be a
strong factor in our decisions here, where there is an absence of internal
political consensus.

Since quite a lot of confusion is bound to be unavoidable either way, I
think it's likely best not to introduce additional uncertainty and to sit
on future changes until it is more clear what people actually do.  This
would also help to keep any future advice in response to that confusion as
simple as possible (e.g., "use $VERSION or later", "don't use $VERSION_A
through $VERSION_B", rather than dealing with any number of possible
intermediate and alternating states).

--
Tim Parenti