[tz] zic changes (2/2)

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Wed Mar 2 23:02:27 UTC 2016

The TZ string "PST+8PDT" doesn't conform to POSIX, and it isn't the name
of a tzdata file. Traditionally the GNU C library attempts to interpret
ruleless TZ strings by applying the daylight-saving rules of the GNU
project headquarters in Cambridge, MA. It does this by combining the
specified UTC offset (here, -08) with the DST rules taken from the file
"America/New_York". Apparently this combination isn't working for the
new-format tzdata files. My guess is that it's a glibc bug but I haven't
investigated the details. You might also try using a valid POSIX string,
or a valid tzdata string, and checking whether the bug also occurs in
these more-important cases.