[tz] zic changes (2/2)

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Thu Mar 3 16:37:21 UTC 2016

On 03/02/2016 09:38 PM, Random832 wrote:
> Are you
> saying that the_actual intent_  of the POSIX committee was to forbid the
> use of the traditional System III timezone format, rather than allowing
> it (as the brackets imply) and having the rules be
> implementation-defined?

That's what I was saying, yes, but it appears I was incorrect. The
original intent was to allow the syntax TZ='PST8PDT', but to leave the
daylight-saving rules unspecified in this case. Hence the test case that
prompted this thread (though most likely illustrating a bug in glibc)
does not illustrate a violation of POSIX, because portable programs
should not assume that TZ strings like 'PST8PDT' have any particular
behavior with respect to when DST starts and stops.

This is all stated clearly in the rationale for POSIX 1003.1-1988. I
guess that part of the rationale has been discareded in more recent
editions of the standard, which makes the current standard confusing (it
confused *me*, anyway). Quoting from B8.1.1, page 267:

"Rules of the form AAAn or AAAnBBB (the style used in many historical
implementations) do not carry with them any statement about the start
and end of daylight time.... An implementation may provide those rules
in any way it sees fit, as long as the constraints implied by the TZ
string as provided by the user are met. Specifically the implementation
may use the string as an index into a table, which may reside either on
disk or in memory. Such tables could contain rules which are sensitive
to the year to which they are supplied, again since the user did not
specify the exact rule....

"There is at least one public domain time zone implementation (the
Olson/Harris method) that uses non-specific TZ strings and a table, as
described above and handles all the general time zone problems mentioned
above.... Nothing precludes the implementation from adding information
beyond that given by the user in the TZ string."

To try to save Guy Harris some time in reply, I should mention that
there is an attribution error in rationale quoted above. As Guy wrote on
1991-09-25 in comp.unix.misc, "It is referred to as the 'Olson/Harris'
method by the rationale for section B.8.1.1 in the POSIX 1003.1 spec,
but as the 'Harris' in question, I'd prefer it just be called the
'Arthur Olson' method; it was Arthur's idea, and while I was *one* of
the contributors to the implementation, other contributors provided at
least as much stuff as I did."
<https://groups.google.com/forum/?_escaped_fragment_=msg/comp.unix.misc/-ipgFFYVFcs/cdI_k0mRxMoJ>.