[tz] Building tzcode on Windows / MinGW

Matt Johnson mj1856 at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 13 07:27:52 UTC 2016

With the recent contributions to tzcode, I understand that building under MinGW should now be possible.  However, I've gone through all the docs I could find on various ways to set up an environment for this, and despite my best efforts and several hours of frustration, I could not get a successful build.

It would be greatly appreciated if someone could either respond with a quick "how to", or post a blog or something explaining the minimal setup needed to make this work.  Which distribution do I download (MinGW, MinGW-w64), what environment do I need (cygwin, msys, bare windows), what minimal toolchain or cygwin packages, or msys packages, etc do I need?  Do I need "Win-builds"  (win-build.org)?

Also, is compiling under Visual Studio possible?

At the end of the day, I want a zic.exe that I can run against a specific set of tzdata source files, and a zdump.exe I can run on the binary output of zic.  I'd like to be able to run both on Windows without having to have anything special on the machine at runtime.

Thanks,

Matt