[tz] [tz-announce] 2016b release of tz code and data available

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Thu Mar 17 22:03:20 UTC 2016

On 03/17/2016 02:35 PM, Karel Volný wrote:
> for example, originally there was:
>
> AQ    -6617+11031    Antarctica/Casey    Casey Station, Bailey Peninsula
>
> the proposal[*] was to change it to:
>
> AQ    -6617+11031    Antarctica/Casey    Bailey Peninsula (Casey Station)
>
> but the actual 2016b version has:
>
> AQ    -6617+11031    Antarctica/Casey    Casey
>

> considering that other locations weren't stripped in such way, just
> abbreviated, I believe this is error ...(?)

When trying out the proposal, I noticed the longstanding problem that
commentary like "Bailey Peninsula", which was originally intended to
simply tell users where Casey Station was, could easily be
misinterpreted to imply that all of Bailey Peninsula observes Casey's
time zone. Since Antarctica is not really divided up into time zones in
the usual sense (each station decides on its own, somewhat arbitrarily
from a geographical point of view, with no recognized regions or
boundaries between zones), and since anybody in Antarctica who needs to
use those entries will most likely know which station they're in sync
with, I thought it better to remove the potentially-misleading
information and just list the station.