[tz] Chile goes back to DST (...)

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Fri Mar 18 18:10:32 UTC 2016

Thanks for the information. From the wording in the new decree, it
appears that Chile will change its practice this year for Easter Island
Time (Hora Oficial de Chile Insular Occidental), as described below. I
wonder: is this correct?

In 2008, as documented in
<https://web.archive.org/web/20090701000801/http://www.shoa.cl/noticias/2008/04hora/hora.htm>,
Chile kept Easter Island Time two hours behind mainland time: when the
mainland switched at 24:00 local time, Easter Island switched at 22:00
local time. This is the practice in the European Union.

In contrast, this week's decree says that mainland and Easter Island
both switch at 24:00 local time, which means the mainland will switch
two hours before Easter Island does. This is the practice in North America.

Has the practice really changed in Chile, and if so, do you know which
year the new practice was introduced?

I don't speak Spanish natively and so could be misreading the decree;
comments are welcome. In the meantime a, proposed further patch to
tzdata is attached and is installed in the experimental tzdata version
on GitHub <https://github.com/eggert/tz>; this patch assumes that the
new Chilean practice is being introduced this year.