[tz] Cyprus is splitting into two time zones

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Tue Nov 1 09:15:25 UTC 2016

On 01/11/16 08:41, Lester Caine wrote:
> On 31/10/16 16:52, Paul Eggert wrote:
>>> Since there is a Europe/Nicosia link, presumably there should be a
>>> Europe/North_Nicosia link as well?
>>
>> I'd rather not. In hindsight the Europe/Nicosia link was a mistake, and
>> let's not compound it.
>
> ? Cyprus is part of Europe and Greece and Turkey are further east so I
> was somewhat surprised to see it moved outside europe!
> https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/cy.html
> if you want some documentation ...

OK Geography is a little off, I still concider cyprus is part of the
island area around Greece, but if cyprus is not classified as part of
Europe then Turkey should also move to asia since that is designated as
'Middle East' rather than 'Europe'. My point is on what basis is the
statement "Europe/Nicosia link was a mistake" made?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL