[tz] Why did you rename Russian zone name abbreviations

Tue Nov 1 22:04:21 UTC 2016

On 2016-11-01 11:24, Random832 wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 1, 2016, at 12:12, Paul Eggert wrote:
>> On 10/31/2016 01:39 PM, Alexander Belopolsky wrote:
>>> I wouldn't be surprised if similar practices exist in other
>>> non-English speaking countries
>>
>> I'm afraid we don't have the resources to cover common practices in
>> languages other than English, even if these languages use Latin-letter
>> abbreviations that may have been derived from English originally. This
>> sort of thing is better addressed by CLDR <http://cldr.unicode.org/>,
>> which has a mandate to cover time zone abbreviations in non-English
>> locales.
>
> The simple fact is, they don't have a reference implementation of
> strftime, and we do. Maybe it's time to step up.
>
> Also, there's a difference between doing localization in general and
> accepting a single abbreviation used in a single language that is not
> English when there is no English abbreviation to conflict. We absolutely
> do have the resources to do the latter, you just don't *want* to -
> that's not the same thing.

Perhaps someone who regularly uses CLDR could post a simple demo of tz
abbreviation L10N.

Debian packaging configuration distributes I18N templates in 23 languages for
	dpkg-reconfigure tzdata
aka tzselect in /var/lib/dpkg/info/tzdata.templates - also useful to find words
other languages use for time zone, countries, territories, and municipalities.