[tz] Cyprus is splitting into two time zones

Andreas Heigl andreas at heigl.org
Wed Nov 2 09:13:02 UTC 2016

Hi Robert

Am 02.11.16 um 09:49 schrieb Robert Elz:
>     Date:        Wed, 2 Nov 2016 06:43:38 +0100
>     From:        Andreas Heigl <andreas at heigl.org>
>
>   | As far as I understood the timezonedb so far it's about making
>   | the life of people easier.
>
> That's not correct.   It is about documenting the different time zones
> that exist.   If that happens to make life easier for someone or other,
> that's just a fortunate by-product, it is not an objective.

Just as a reference:
http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2016-October/024311.html

>   | When Istanbul has two entries due it's unclear state on being european
>   | or asian,
>
> That's not correct either.   For Istanbul (and Turkey as a whole) it is
> very clear that it is both European and Asian.   That is, it (both Istanbul
> and Turkey) straddles the divide between Europe and Asia.
>
> I'm not going to comment on Cyprus, I don't understand either the geographic
> or political issues involved - though I will say that membership of the EU
> is irrelevant to our purposes.   Given enough time passing, that body may
> grow to include almost anyone, whether they're geographically European or
> not.

Nobody is talking about it's membership in the european union. I was
more thinking of it's orientation more to Europe than to Asia. And as
the current TZ-DB already contains a link from Europe/Nicosia to
Asia/Nicosia everything is fine for me.

Cheers

Andreas

--