[tz] Why did you rename Russian zone name abbreviations

Robert Elz kre at munnari.OZ.AU
Thu Nov 3 16:39:05 UTC 2016

    Date:        Thu, 3 Nov 2016 08:47:25 -0700
    From:        Paul Eggert <eggert at cs.ucla.edu>

  | In English the usual assumption is that a time zone abbreviation
  | reflects the user's UTC offset,

I'm not sure that's true, even in the US.   When I get to watch live US
sport, there are frequently (useless to me) ads for following programs,
which are typically stated as to start at (something like) 9 ET / 8 CT
where the time and abbreviation just means "9 o'clock in the eastern
timezone, or 8 in the central timezone" (and I assume that either people
in the western half of the US are getting a different telecast, or they
simply don't matter...)   The same abbreviation is used whether it is winter
or summer, as in reality, (almost) no-one cares what the offset from UTC
might happen to be, just what the clock should show, locally, if you happen
to want to watch.

I'm also still 100% happy to keep using EST for Eastern Standard Time (+10)
in the 4 eastern states of Australia during winter (and in Queensland in
summer), and EST for Eastern Summer time (+11) in the other 3 eastern states
in summer - and this was true when Tasmania shifted to summer time earlier
than Vic and NSW.

That said, best would be to delete all the abbreviations (or make them all
the same, just "zzz" or something, if we fear breaking code if there is
nothing there) - ALL of them (not excluding ones that some people believe
are non-controversial, with only perhaps UTC excepted.)

kre