[tz] Metazones in the tzdb (was Re: Why did you rename Russian zone name abbreviations)

Random832 random832 at fastmail.com
Thu Nov 3 18:17:42 UTC 2016

On Thu, Nov 3, 2016, at 13:56, Matt Johnson wrote:
> > nobody actually uses the data
>
> Well, I use it.
> https://github.com/mj1856/TimeZoneNames
>
> Others use it too and I've commented on the release cycle problems
> before, in issues like this one:
> https://github.com/nodatime/nodatime/issues/473
>
> Oh, you meant something mainstream, well:
> http://site.icu-project.org/

Okay, "nobody" was a bit hyperbolic.  My main issue was the fact that
most OS's C libraries (which tend to follow tzdb's lead, except for
Windows - which has its own timezones and its own localization) don't
seem use it, and as far as I know Python's standard library (which
doesn't exactly have its act together with timezones in general either)
also doesn't.

The fact that we're talking about your project and nodatime rather than
the basic class libraries of either C# or Java suggests that the latter
don't use the CLDR data, or possibly even the tzdb data at all. The fact
that they _do_ tend to provide localization of, say, month names, means
a lot of people might not realize that they're inadequate.