[tz] Happy 30th anniversary!

Tue Nov 29 23:56:46 UTC 2016

On 2016-11-29 10:44, Eliot Lear wrote:
> On 11/25/16 11:27 PM, Arthur David Olson wrote:
>>> ...*Tue Nov 25 00:58:12 UTC 1986*
>>> Now that we've moved from 4.1BSD to 4.3BSD here at elsie,
>>> I've set things up so that mail sent to
>>> 	seismo!elsie!tz
>>> will go to folks who've expressed an interest in time zone
>>> matters.
>> http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/1986-November/008946.html
>> (Note that it was really the 24th local time.)
> I can't believe this went so quietly. Belated congratulations to you
> Arthur David and Paul for keeping us all organized all that time.

...and thanks to ado and Paul for keeping us mainly free of politics
for all that time, despite the political sources and decisions behind
the changes; to kre for contributions and keeping everything updated
during difficult times; and all the many posters who dig up at times
fascinating quirks behind and references to the bald data documenting
and implementing the changes.

We also just passed the 20th anniversary of the 1996 implementation
of the last EU common time zones rule change.

And it will soon be the 10th anniversary of the US 2007 time zones
rule change, which since its announcement in 2005, provoked a flurry
of legislation across North America.