[tz] tzdata2016g missing version information

Dempsey, Peter Peter.Dempsey at verint.com
Mon Oct 3 09:17:41 UTC 2016

Hi,

On 09/29/2016 08:590 AM, Eggert, Paul wrote:

>Yes, it appears that the Oracle software assumed that the Makefile would have a VERSION line that specifies the version number. That assumption was never documented or guaranteed and is no longer valid. >Perhaps you can work around the problem by modifying the Makefile to say "VERSION = 2016g" (I don't have the Oracle software and so can't easily test this).

>We are discussing a better way to address this problem in the future.

@Paul Eggert:
The Oracle Timezone Update Tool can be downloaded from here: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/documentation/tzupdater-readme-136440.html#ondemand. This tool has two ways of updating the timezone database:

1.       Online where the timezone database is downloaded from: -l http://www.iana.org/time-zones/repository/tzdata-latest.tar.gz

2.  Offline where the timezone database is loaded locally: -l file:///tmp/tzdata2016g.tar.gz

The tzdata file published on the IANA site needs to include the VERSION information so that this tool can work. When do you think this can be provided? I need to test the Oracle Timezone Updater Tool as soon as possible because I have customers with critical systems dependent on the time zone database.

@Susan Abraham:
I don't know if you are involved with the Timezone Updater Tool but this tool currently can't update the timezone because the database doesn't contain the VERSION information.

@Kim Davies:
I am adding you to keep you directly in the loop.

Best regards,

Pete

--
This electronic message may contain proprietary and confidential
information of Verint Systems Inc., its affiliates and/or subsidiaries.