[tz] zic: symlink generation issue

Andreas Stieger astieger at suse.de
Thu Oct 6 12:47:04 UTC 2016

Hello,

on openSUSE we are seeing issues generating symlinks after replacing our
distribution specific patches with the upstream code:

$ rm /etc/localtime
$ ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/London /etc/localtime
$ ls -l /etc/localtime
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 33 Oct  6 12:47 /etc/localtime -> /usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/London
$ zic -l Europe/Berlin
$ ls -l /etc/localtime
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 Oct  6 11:47 /etc/localtime -> ../../Europe/Berlin

resulting in a broken symbolic link.

The previous code supplied relname(), and in dolink() instead of
calculating the dotdots using fromfield/tofield we used fromname/toname,
respectively. I though I'd let you know while we are working on this, in
case you have a quick fix. Otherwise we'll attempt to upstream what we
come up with.

Andreas

--
Andreas Stieger <astieger at suse.de>