[tz] Historical discrepancies for Italy.

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Fri Oct 21 23:43:02 UTC 2016

On 10/21/2016 03:33 PM, Pierpaolo Bernardi wrote:
> Anyway, if you can suggest a precise question to ask, I'll ask (and
> I'm sure they can also reply in English to an enquiry in English.

Thanks for the suggestion. INRIM is clearly more reliable than the
sources we were using, so I adjusted our tables to match INRIM's via the
attached patch, which is installed in the development repository now.

If you have the time, could you ask INRIM two followup questions? My
guess is that they'll prefer Italian-language questions and answers (and
I am not lucky enough to speak Italian).

First, do their tables reflect Italian legal time, or the time that was
observed on the ground in Rome? The difference might matter during the
period of German occupation of Rome, roughly from 1943-09-10 to 1944-06-04.

Second, our commentary says "Sicily and Sardinia each had their own time
zones from 1866 to 1893, called Palermo Time (+00:53:28) and Cagliari
Time (+00:36:32)." Does INRIM have any information about legal time in
Italy before 1916? I would prefer INRIM to Shanks as our source for this
sort of commentary.

Thanks.