[tz] tzdata for 2016 leap seconds

Andreas Stieger astieger at suse.com
Fri Sep 2 14:47:07 UTC 2016

Hello,

On 09/02/2016 04:38 PM, Paul Eggert wrote:
> Jimmy Wang (jcwang) wrote:
>> Is there anyway that this can be published sooner? Many of our
>> upstream vendors won't release their tzdata update until the official
>> tzdata is published.
>
> This topic has come up recently on the mailing list; please see the
> threads containing these messages:
>
> http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2016-September/024031.html
> http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2016-August/023914.html
>
> Briefly, I don't know why end users need leap seconds to be pushed out
> more urgently than other tzdata changes. Perhaps you could let us know
> why Cisco's end users need this?

We (SUSE) have already released update due to demand from customer with
extraordinarily long patch deployment cycles. In most configurations,
however, the leap second announcement is actually received through the
ntp protocol from reference clocks, rather than being inserted from a
local database. This may vary for appliances but even those should be
synced via ntp?

Andreas

--
Andreas Stieger <astieger at suse.com>