[tz] tzdata for 2016 leap seconds

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Fri Sep 2 16:41:31 UTC 2016

Howard Hinnant wrote:
> Here is working code for me:

Sure, but that uses library code for parsing the tz database source, whereas I
was asking about end-user applications that need months-in-advance notice of
leap seconds. As Bradley writes, most of the world that cares about leap seconds
uses NTP and does not depend on tz-derived leap seconds information.

Changing the subject slightly, ICANN is not able to provide leap second data to
billions of clients directly, as we don't have the capacity. For example,
widely-used client code should not poll ietf.org or iana.org (or github.com!) to
grab the "latest" leap second data. I'm sure you know this; I'm just stating the
obvious for readers who may not be aware of the practical limitations.