[tz] tzdist and tz at iana

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Wed Sep 7 20:16:48 UTC 2016

On 09/07/2016 11:35 AM, Lester Caine wrote:
> tz was always viewed as the primary source for tzdist, until there IS a
> primary source we can't start to create mirror sites.

But there is a primary source for tz: the latest release as described at
https://www.iana.org/time-zones. This consists of the two gzipped
tarballs that we've been talking about, currently the 2016f release.
These tarballs can easily be mirrored elsewhere.

A complete tzdist public server would need to do more than just
mirroring tz releases. That would be a bigger project, one outside the
scope of tz proper.

> We need a master that can provide
> the complete history of changes to tz data properly identified, or at
> least one starting from a current live version.
The iana.org website publishes all the tz releases that we've been able
to get our hands on. Some older releases have been lost, alas, but I
think we have every release published since 1999. For details, look for
the string "is missing!" in the NEWS file.