[tz] tzdist and tz at iana

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Wed Sep 7 20:52:40 UTC 2016

On 09/07/2016 01:03 PM, Alexander Belopolsky wrote:
> That's clear, but adding an option to zic to generate timezone data in
> tzdist format may not be out of reach.

vzic already does that, no? See its description in tz-link.htm. Do we
need to reinvent that wheel?

> Ideally, tzcode would include a reference implementation of an RFC
> 7808 "Time Zone Data Server".  Wasn't such a reference implementation
> created by the tzdist group?

The test server that I found most-recently discussed in the tzdist
archive was operated at CMU. I don't know the details (perhaps Tim
does?) but I expect it was based on Cyrus IMAP, which uses vzic to
convert from tz format. You can get a copy of Cyrus IMAP here:

https://cyrusimap.org/