[tz] tzdist and tz at iana

Ken Murchison murch at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed Sep 7 21:25:36 UTC 2016

On 09/07/2016 05:00 PM, Tim Parenti wrote:

> On 7 September 2016 at 16:52, Paul Eggert <eggert at cs.ucla.edu
> <mailto:eggert at cs.ucla.edu>> wrote:
>
>         Ideally, tzcode would include a reference implementation of an
>         RFC 7808 "Time Zone Data Server".  Wasn't such a reference
>         implementation created by the tzdist group?
>

>     The test server that I found most-recently discussed in the tzdist
>     archive was operated at CMU. I don't know the details (perhaps Tim
>     does?) but I expect it was based on Cyrus IMAP, which uses vzic to
>     convert from tz format.
>

> Although I am, in fact, now at Carnegie Mellon University, I wasn't
> involved with the tzdist demo server.  That was Ken Murchison's doing.

Yes, I am to blame.  Its bundled with our CalDAV/CardDAV server which is
part of Cyrus IMAP.  It would be non-trivial to make it a standalone
service.  The folks that work on Bedework (namely Mike Douglass) may
have something that can operate as an applet within Apache.

--
Kenneth Murchison
Principal Systems Software Engineer