[tz] Cyprus is splitting into two time zones

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Fri Sep 9 16:41:39 UTC 2016

It appears that I was too hasty about this, as the UN Peacekeeping Force
in Cyprus has now weighed in on Cyprus time zones and the two sides may
have further negotiations. Since it is hard to predict what will happen,
I am becoming inclined to revert the recent tzdata Cyprus change before
releasing 2016g, and to wait to see what happens in Cyprus between now
and November, to avoid releasing a Zone that turns out to be wrong
and/or unnecessary. In the meantime, computers in North Cyprus can use
the TZ settings 'Asia/Nicosia' or (for those updating to the forthcoming
2016g release) 'Asia/Istanbul' or (for those not updating) '<+03>-3',
depending on how things turn out.

http://cyprus-mail.com/2016/09/09/un-two-sides-will-decide-address-time-zone-problem/
http://famagusta-gazette.com/time-zones-in-cyprus-set-to-split-p36090-69.htm