[tz] Fiji date for DST yet to be confirmed

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Fri Sep 23 18:09:11 UTC 2016

On 09/23/2016 10:47 AM, World Time Zone wrote:
> http://fijivillage.com/news/Date-for-Daylight-Savings-yet-to-be-confirmed--29krs5/
>

> "... Minister for Employment Jone Usamate says he has just become
> aware of the need to confirm the dates for Daylight Saving.
> Usamate says he will need to further discuss this with the Permanent
> Secretary as it is of high concern ... "

Thanks for the heads-up. Currently we project Fiji to switch to daylight
saving time on November 6 at 02:00 local time (switching to 03:00) and
it will simplify things if our guess is correct.

I don't know whether Fiji's Ministry of Employment is aware of the
technical problems caused by inadequate notice by governments of changes
to daylight saving rules. I'll CC: this email to Minister Usamate and to
a deputy, with a suggestion to read Matt Johnson's "On the timing of
time zone changes".

http://codeofmatt.com/2016/04/23/on-the-timing-of-time-zone-changes/

One of Johnson's suggestions for governments is: "Give ample notice,
preferably at least 6 months in advance of the change. One year or more
would be even better."