[tz] tzdata 2016g

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Mon Sep 26 20:09:26 UTC 2016

On 09/26/2016 10:58 AM, Matt Johnson wrote:
> Paul, could you educate us all on what the publishing process with
> ICANN involves?

ICANN has a private Git-based repository that stores distribution
tarballs and metadata. When I cut a new release I send them a copy of
it, and they turn a crank that installs it into their private repository
and then publishes the result on their web site. Although ICANN granted
me access to their private system so that I could update the repository
and push a button to turn the crank, the access was via Juniper VPN and
was so flaky and awkward for me that I eventually gave up using it and
we fell back on the current approach.

We've long known that the process should be improved. The current
problems are likely to light a fire under that and actually get it done,
though not instantly I'm afraid. As part of its improvement the process
should be documented better than it is now.