[tz] lzip Re: tz-2016g.tar.gz and Oracle Java Timezone Updater

vanadovv at hetnet.nl vanadovv at hetnet.nl
Wed Sep 28 11:42:06 UTC 2016

To get Bash on Windows 10 is not that simple.
First of all, you'll have to obtain the Windows 10 Anniversary Update.
This will be installed for W10 users somewhere this year, but you could force this update.
That's not the biggest problem.
Then you'll have to register yourself as a Windows Insider, because at the moment Bash and Linux with Windows will only run on Windows 10 Technical Preview 14316 or later.
Since Windows 10 updates will be installed whether you like it or not, you'll get all unstable and semi-stable Windows 10 versions there are.
At the moment this seems to be the only way to play with Bash and other Linux tools on a Windows computer.
I'm sure nobody with a regular production machine will demote his/her computer to a ticking timebomb, only to be able to play with the TZ lzip files.

It's much more simple to run the ezwinports lzip.exe from the Windows command line by invoking cmd.exe.
This is quite a hassle for normal Windows users, but nowhere near the difficulties of the Windows-Linux endeavour.

Some information sources on W10 and Linux:
http://www.howtogeek.com/249966/how-to-install-and-use-the-linux-bash-shell-on-windows-10/
http://www.pcmweb.nl/nieuws/zo-installeer-je-de-linux-bash-shell-op-windows-10.html
(Dutch language site from a computer magazine)

Oscar van Vlijmen