[tz] tzdata2016g missing version information

Howard Hinnant howard.hinnant at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 18:28:14 UTC 2016

As is known, the version number no longer appears in the Makefile.  The release notes in NEWS say:

> To support the more-accurate version number, its
>     specification has moved from a line in the Makefile to a new
>     source file 'version’.

The version file does not appear in the uncompressed tzdata2016g database.  This is hurting my ability to report the version of the database to my clients.  Can we please put a version file in the database?

Howard